Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Week 79: Illusion of Ipoh

Good morning everyone! This was a crazy fast and crazy busy week. 

Tuesday and Wednesday were super busy because of Christmas. We had tons of meal appointments....I ate so much Dim Sum and banana leaf curry (that you eat with your hand haha) and so much delicious food! 

On Thursday morning, we left for Kuala Lumpur for Zone Conference. We had interviews with President Woo and then we went to Cheras, Elder Blackwelder's old Area. I met a really nice man from China who ended up treating us to a really nice meal of hot pot the next day! Elder Carter and I went and we had duck intestines and pig brain and all the yummy stuff that makes for a great story. Friday was good, our Zone Conference Training went pretty well. 

We got back on Saturday and had a pretty normal day, Sunday as well. It is nice to be back in our Area and actually having time to Talk to people and Build our Area. 

As for our people Being Taught, Gordon is doing well...he was in Penang for most of this week but he gets back next week. William has been taught for a while and just got back from Taiwan and is doing really really well, he brought his girlfriend to church! Dashwin and them are doing well, but they slept late and didn't come to church. 

I love you all so much! I hope that you have a wonderful week ahead and a wonderful Christmas season. Christmas is a wonderful time to step back and evaluate what really matters. I love the example of the wise men who dropped everything to go and find Jesus Christ. I hope to be more like them. 

Love you all! 

Pictures:
1. We almost ran into some nice cows crossing the Highway. 
2. Us with President Yap eating the CNY themed "Prosperity Burger
3. Zone Conference! 
4. Us with William and Brother Sam! 
5. A cool Buddhist temple we visited.
6. Us at a members for Christmas! 
7. Us with May Ng and her family, some people We are teaching. 
8. Brother Herbert gave us Christmas gifts!
9. Another members house for Christmas. 
10. Us with Li You You and hot pot! 












After a long letter in which I shared some of the discouraging aspects of my mission in Colombia, Josh replied with the following encouragement -- 

Hey Mom! Congratulations on your Halfway point! That is a big deal, that means that you just have to do what you have already Done again.

It BUGS me so much When I have no idea what is going on, and so I am sure that wasn't fun to experience that on your trip. A lot of times When we go on exchanges I feel the same way...I have no idea what bathroom to use and When we are going finding and all those things and it is not fun haha. I feel ya Sister! 

I definitely had a similar feeling as you! Missions have such a great opportunity to let us grow, but it comes SO slowly! For me, when I hit my year mark, I remember kinda doubting what I was doing on my mission. One of my Old areas shut down, a lot of my Recent Converts were less active or even missing, and at times I felt down about myself because I was the same Old Elder Weatherford. But, when I was put with Elder Pack again, it put a lot of things into perspective. It helped me to see how much I had grown. Even though I hadn't reached anywhere close to the goals I had set (perfect Chinese, 4000 Baptisms, being assistant haha) I had grown and that was what really mattered.

The longer I serve my mission the more I come to the conclusion that missions really are meant for the missionaries, Perhaps even more than the people they teach or the people they do ordinances for. If God wanted to, He could baptize everyone and do endowments for them, but He has us do it because it helps us to grow closer to Him. 

Hang in there mom, missions are hard every day but they are also beautiful and a source of tremendous growth. I am grateful that you share your discouragements because it reminds me that I am not the only Missionary out there who gets discouraged from time to time. 

I think I got your hair, your smile, and a lot of other wonderful characteristics from you and they help me realize how close we are and that makes me so happy. I love having a mom that I can reach out to and talk to and share my feelings with! 

I love you so so much! I can't wait to see you so soon and to give you a big kiss and swap our crazy Mission stories. 



No comments:

Post a Comment